Sunday, February 24, 2008

Month of February

I was really looking forward to the Maymont Flower and Garden Show this past weekend here at the Richmond Convention Center for a long time. It turned out to be something of a letdown.
It changed from prior years.

I spent a great deal of time yesterday potting up a bunch of rooted cuttings I had on the windowsill. I then cut some more coleus and other plants and started them for rooting. I looked through the Park Seed Company's Annuals & Tropicals Catalog. It is gorgeous. They have most of the annual varieties that I seek out all Spring for my baskets and planters. I am considering ordering through them to get them all at once as opposed to trapsing all over the region to each garden center looking for the right ones. Their prices seem to be reasonable enough. We have ordered from Park Seed a number of years now and are very happy with the quality of their plants and superb customer service. We bought all of our thujas from them along with many miscanthus grasses and other perennials.

I can see Spring is on its way. The daffodils and hyacinths are up a few inches. The yellow crocus have been in bloom a few weeks now. The trees are budding out and you can see the light color in the trees as you travel down the Interstate. Unfortunately, the temperature this month has been the coldest we've had so far this season and it doesn't seem to be letting up anytime too soon. We do have quick Springs here in Central Virginia as compared to the Northeast so once the cold lets up, we need to savor the Spring right away before the heat is on.

The cold and flu season ran its course through our house this month as well. I think it is gone for the most part.

Bill has been working on painting a child's art table and chairs for Amanda's class's project for the upcoming school auction. They couldn't have picked a more qualified person to finish it. It's been alot of work for him but he has done such a spectacular job.

We will be celebrating Amanda's 5th birthday on March 15. It is unbelievable how fast the time goes.

Easter is the week after that.


Then, my 2 sisters are planning a trip down here at the end of March. That is really exciting. Then my mom and aunt will be visitng for a few days after that.


I'm not sure how to find more time for blogging but I will keep on when I can.

No comments: