Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Our July Stay-cation Activities

Our “stay-cation” last week was a memorable one. We were able to enjoy some time together as a family at a number of local places that we haven't been before. I did my best to use our Entertainment book coupons on food and entertainment that we could. Every bit of savings counts right?

This is a picture of 2 of my souvenirs from our vacation. The plant is a Proven Winner Selection called 'Zulu Wonder' Plectranthus ciliatus that I bought at the Lewis Ginter garden gift shop in a pot and saucer that I picked up at the Williamsburg Pottery. The foliage is beautiful and I will bring it in as a houseplant at some point. It seems like it will root as easily as my different coleus do so wish me luck! I may have many more hanging around.

Some of our staycation activities and "adventures" as I called them:
  • We attended a 3 year old monster truck birthday party for a friend.
  • We saw Wall-E, the new Disney Pixar movie about a robot. Our 2 and 5 year old preschoolers loved it. We did too.
We visited Lewis Ginter Bontanical Garden for the first time. Our main focus was on the new Children’s Garden of course. I did take tons of photos of the plants as well for ideas for my own gardens.





We traveled out to Pocohontas State Park in Chesterfield for their Swimming Pool Aquatic Center. This was considered a water park for us. When the kids get older we may need to start going to Water Country and the like but this was ideal for them and us. They have a 5'-6', a 3'-4' and a 1' baby pool, 2 large slides and this playground set. Maybe 45 minutes from Goochland center.
  • We visited Busch Gardens Europe in Williamsburg for the second time this year with our Virginia Fun Passes.
  • We spent plenty of time in our own pool, gardening entertaining friends and watching NY Yankee baseball.

We ate out a number of times for both lunch and dinner in family friendly restaurants. This included:
  • Mexico Restaurant in Short Pump I was pleasantly surprised with the menu at this place. We've been to a number of Mexican and Tex-Mex places in the Richmond area, Outer Banks vacations and other places we've lived and they are all good. They are all pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned. This place though has more of a unique flair while still offering the traditional Mexican food favorites. I chose one of their shrimp and crab dishes with Mexican spices and I chose well. It was very tasty. I'll be hard pressed to pick something else when we eat there again. True to their advertising, it is a great place for the whole family, kids and all. None of us left any food on our plates. The next out of town visitors we have are going here with us.
  • New York Deli in Williamsburg This is another place I'm sure we'll stop at for lunch next time we are in the area. You order and pay for your food from a counter from printed or overhead menus. They give you a number and call you when your food is ready. They have a great selection of food and beverages, like Legend Brown on draft.
  • Spectators Family Sports Pub in Williamsburg We were leaving the park around 9:30. Although we had intended to go to Captain George's Seafood for an all you can eat seafood buffet treat, we didn't plan on leaving so late. CG's doesn't serve dinner at that hour. So I 1st tried the Garmin which was a waste. I then scoured one of the travel magazines I picked up at the New Kent County rest area on 64W on the way here. I found this place and called them to be sure they would still serve dinner. The very friendly woman on the other end asked the chef who said he would stay until we got there to get us some food. She also made sure I had the best directions there. Otherwise, after 10, they would have had bar appetizers but I wanted the family to eat food. On that super service alone, I would recommend that place to anyone in the area.
  • Firebirds Rocky Mountain Grill at the Short Pump Mall We were able to steal away without the children one afternoon to have an adults only lunch. We sat outside and enjoyed a tasty meal. I chose this place because I had eaten here once before with my daughter and liked it and we were close by.
  • Burger King * Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Café * Brusters for ice cream

We did a little shopping at places like:
  • Williamsburg Pottery where we picked up a few things like this gorgeous blue bird bath. They had red, blue and brown? I picked out a pot for the new plant I bought at Lewis Ginter. I also picked out 2 asparagus ferns at a great price.
Home Depot * Kroger *
Pleasant’s Ace Hardware for a rain barrel for the MIL. The Chesterfield location had one in stock (we called ahead) but any of the locations will order one in for you if they don't have any at the time.

This is a picture of a copper rain chain and rain barrel at Lewis Ginter.

There is plenty more to see and do on a Richmond area staycation but these are the things that I planned that worked out very well for us. Next time we'll try some other things and maybe repeat some of these.

Besides what we did on our week off, I'd also suggest the following, especially when out of town guests are visiting:
Richmond Metro Zoo
River District Canal Cruise on the Canal Walk in Shockoe Slip
Cary Street My 2 favorites in Carytown are World of Mirth and Mongrel for very unique cards & gifts.

I will add some photos next chance I get to blog here!

1 comment:

Missy's Blog said...

Sounds like a wonderful staycation to me.

We've been to Pocohontas State Park once ... I'm thinking it's time for another visit there.

I'm going to note some of these places your family visited for some fun things for us to do.