Friday, October 10, 2008

Autumn Song

Autumn in Central Virginia is not always evident to me. I still have plenty of blooming plants and nary a red maple leaf in sight. I've come to learn that unless I want to skip right over Fall, I need to really look for it. The Northeast, where we are originally from, cast no doubt on the season change.


If only by the fact that 102.7 WNEW let us know that Rocktober was here! "WNEW-FM ROCKS Cyndi in Gum Spring with..."


I did buy 3 pumpkins at the Walmart and planted a few kale, cabbage and perennial sedum Autumn Joy.

I already have more perennial mums than I care for.




We don't get the same blue asters I loved up north but I think I'll stay ;-) Here are some more photos I took yesterday around the yard.

Orange Canna
Lily:
Knockout Rose - Pink:
Purple Ice Plant:

and once again, the white gladiolus callianthus:

4 comments:

HarryJack's Mom said...

Oh, I miss Rocktober, too! Beautiful pictures, as always. I'm planting bulbs for the first time EVER, so thanx for the continued inspiration :-)

Colleen Wms said...

What bulbs did you pick??

You'll be SO happy you did it come late Winter and Spring when they bloom.

merc3069 said...

What is Rocktober?

Missy's Blog said...

Love all of the pictures of your flowers.

I have to say ... coming from Florida where we didn't even have a "fall season" ... Fall is my favorite time of the year!

Our maple tree in the back is what I call "blushing" right now ... it's turning pinkish and will soon be vibrantly orange ... I can't wait to see it!