Thursday, December 4, 2008

Triple Conjunction of the Moon, Venus and Jupiter

We witnessed a triple conjunction of the moon, Venus and Jupiter best seen on Monday night December 1 and Tuesday December 2 here in Central Virginia. Photo courtesy of S. Duncan. It is most visible at dusk. You may still see it for the next few nights but they are gradually getting further apart.

Some people looked at it as a frown.

So if you were stargazing and wondering what those bright lights were near the crescent moon, there you have it!

4 comments:

HarryJack's Mom said...

Wasn't that beautiful?? Great photo, SD!

lostlandscape said...

I saw a picture of the event on the BBC Magazine site when the moon was on the other side of the planets. The headline was something about a "smiley face," with the moon making the grin. I wouldn't call your pictures frowns, though, since they're such cool pictures!

Sunita said...

Triple conjunction ... I'll have to remember that term. I saw it but when I wanted to post about it, I had no idea what it was called. In any case, I had already decided it was a smilie face meant for us people of Mumbai... how arrogant of me ;D

Missy's Blog said...

We saw it too ... it was pretty amazing!