Sunday, February 8, 2009

Any signs of Spring Yet?

I finally saw a blooming crocus in my yard today. It is a yellow one at the mailbox. I was pulling out of the driveway so I did not get a photo but will certainly take a look tomorrow.

Other years I saw them by end of January or 1st of February. I guess the cold snap we had made them a little late.


I also have a regular salad bar for the rabbits and deer over Mimi's grave so I don't think I'll see any of those bulbs blooming unless its wabbit season?

The last 2 days have been near or above 70 so it has been beautiful. Enough to open windows and let the air in through the screen door. However, I don't feel Spring Fever yet. The grass is not green, the flowering quince and the neighbor's forsythia are not showing any color. We get these warm days throughout the Winter season here in Central VA. The neighbor golfs year round and bike owners keep year round insurance because they ride all year long. Not like the NE.


The daffodils in the front garden are poking through the mulch. Reminding me once again that they need to be moved. They were hastily planted right in a row. Not the best idea.



What's a gardener to do?

Of course I am sifting through my Spring seed and plant catalogs as well. Doing some planning. I'm also photographing some of the dreariest spots of the yard at this time of year. Maybe I can help the view a bit for next year.

I don't even know that I'll share them. It is a sad sight.



I have been busy rooting cuttings, dividing crowded pots and potting up the divisions.

I love coleus and I do my best to keep my cuttings going so I am not buying all new coleus every year. This variety does the best for me.


This is one of 2 of this root bound plant. I cannot recall its name right now. I'll get back to you on that.



This is what I have potted up so far. At some point I'll need to set up a table at the Farmer's Market in town to get rid of some of these!



Aloe anyone? I have a bunch more in a bowl waiting for me to pot them up!

4 comments:

HarryJack's Mom said...

I swear I am going to get myself organized one of these years - thanx for letting me live vicariously ;-)

Tessa at Blunders with shoots, blossoms 'n roots said...

That's about what my crocus look like- we've had a weird winter here in Portland, OR so I'm expecting to see a bit of damage this year. Looks like you have quite a bit growing there. I too love Coleus- I grew a beautiful one last year that has gorgeous oranges in it.

Happy Gardening!

blossom said...

Those that you forgot the name are real beauty. How I wish I could have them in my garden. I believe I never see them before.

Missy's Blog said...

Awwwww Spring ... I can hardly wait for it to arrive!