Monday, March 23, 2009

Phalaenopsis Re-Bloometh

The phalaenopsis orchid that Heather G brought me for my big four oh birthday in October is blooming again. This is the first orchid I've ever owned that rebloomed. WOW! Thanks! I need to find the tag to post its proper species name.

Not sure if I did anything special. I did leave the stem in place after the flowers fell as you see it is still there. I also left the piece of grass that self seeded from somewhere (?). It first lived in the Northside kitchen window. Then in the foyer, then in a southern facing window when the first blooms were gone. I did try to water it daily and it did take a lot of water.

It is pretty with its white pink purple coloring. Right now, there are 2 new blooms open and 4 more ready to go.

It reminds me of the delicate looking handmade clay flowers I enjoyed at the Home and Garden Show like Nana's Clay Flowers or others I've seen like CC Whisper. I was ready to buy a clay orchid and forget about ever having real ones again.

Happy smiling palms up buddha sits with the signs:

"We do not remember days; We remember moments."
- Cesare Pavese

"Nature colors our days with every shade of beauty."
- Marjolein Bastin

2 comments:

Missy's Blog said...

Beautiful orchid ...

I enjoyed the two phrases you shared. I especially love the "We do not remember days; We remember moments." That is so true.

HarryJack's Mom said...

Oh, it's beautiful! What a delight to have it re-bloom...you really do have a knack for growing lovely things :-) Happy Spring!