Saturday, March 28, 2009

Shade plants for a friend

I picked up 3 plants for a friend. If her house sells, I will gladly come dig them up to transplant at her new home or mine if she is no longer my friend ;-) . Please consider looking at her home if you're in the market for a Central Virginia property. Click HERE to see. Her property is SO AWESOME for the Richmond or Charlottesville area gardener and it is 12 1/3 acres! I'm still considering offering her a trade of my house for hers ;-)

These are photos she shot with her camera phone this morning:

Hellebores "Pine Knot Select"
Lenten Rose











Jacob's Ladder "Touch of Class"











Columbine /Aquilegia
She’ll need to remind me of the species by reading the tag. Possibly vulgaris "black barlow"? It's a very dark purple, almost black.

I was in the Gum Spring area for the Oakland Baptist Children's consignment sale, where I got some GR8 bargains, and Hadensville, where 2 of my local favorite garden centers are, is not too much further, so I HAD to drive out. They are Herb Garden and Mustard Seed Farm. Herb Garden was not open so I headed over to Mustard Seed Farm. I found out later they only plan to be open on weekends this season. The owner of Mustard Seed Farm, Jennifer Mazza, is truly one of the nicest ladies you could meet, her greenhouses are fun, and she is very knowledgeable. Denise at Herb Garden is very nice as well.

I picked up a few plants for myself and knew my friend with WAY more shade than I, needed to start with some excellent shade, woodland plants. You always want what you don't have and I don't have shade. The few spots I can consider shade are so filled, I need to thin them and hope the transplants will do okay in a sunnier spot. Right...

So friend, if you need help digging holes and putting the plants, we can work a deal. But please, don't be afraid! Just dig a hole a little bigger than the circumference of the pot, push the plant out of its pot, rip the root bottom a little and put it in the hole. It's not difficult. Then, if they thrive, GR8, if they are weak, move them, if they die, oh well. The stores have more! There's certainly more you could probably do to make them thrive BUT, don't bother until the day comes when you become passionate about gardening. Just throw those suckers in a hole and enjoy them!

Thanks for sending the photos to post with this. I forgot to take some myself.

I'll need to do a separate post on the couple of plants I picked up for myself.

4 comments:

Janet said...

I have Heucheras and Aquilegia in full sun. They both do fine. I like Black Barlow--that one is great!

Anonymous said...

They are beatiful, and I'm really not that scared - just lazy ;-) I'm going to plant them with the statue...that will surely do the trick, right?! Thank you so much!

Missy's Blog said...

What a wonderful & thoughtful gift. I hope they thrive for her ...

Missy's Blog said...

What a wonderful & thoughtful gift. I hope they thrive for her ...