Sunday, April 19, 2009

Jack Frost Brunnera

Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’ common name Siberian Bugloss
or the False forget-me-not (as I read it called on Dave's Garden). That is truly the reason I took to this beauty when I first saw it a few years back at a garden center. It has a beautiful silvery variegated leaf all season, reminiscent of many hostas, but in early spring you get the dainty blue flower just like the forget me nots that I have started from seed some years but don't have any left.
This shade perennial is what reminds me to get into my 1 and only shade garden and start cleaning it up. Most especially, tearing out the creeping jenny!


I also should divide all my hostas again and I may even try dividing the astilbe since they are so huge!
Problem is, I have no more shade. So most any plant I divide out of this area is going to become an experiment for a hot, sunny spot. I wish them luck or I wish me to find and plant some more fast growing shade trees.

Now I need to research which of the following might fare well in the hot sun and which will just die. I'll take a risk with the plants but not offer them up as sacrificial lambs!

Mainly it's Astilbe & hostas. I have lupine in there as well but I don't think they like being moved. I have some bleeding heart but they're are not prolific yet so they can stay. Same with the jacob's ladder and the jack in the pulpit. I also have some plants in other areas that I would love to move to the shade to keep them happy. My Johnson Blue hardy perennial geranium / cranesbill looks great right now but once the hot summer sun hits it, it suffers. I'd like to enjoy it longer in the season so I need to move her to a shadier spot. Same with the Georgia Blue Speedwell Veronica.
Any thoughts and free advice ;-) from fellow gardener readers would be much appreciated!

5 comments:

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

I just love "Jack Frost" brunnera. I have several plants because of so many shady flower beds. It grows from seed so easily also that I just keep adding it into the beds. I have never heard of it called false forget me nots but it does suit so well.

Colleen Wms said...

I read it called a false forget me not on Dave's Garden. That is truly the reason I took to this beauty when I first saw it a few years back at a garden center. It has a beautiful silvery variegated leaf all season, reminiscent of many hostas, but in early spring you get the dainty blue flower just like the forget me nots that I have started from seed some years but don't have any left. I always forget to reseed them and they don't last long for me.
Thanks!

HarryJack's Mom said...

Hmmm, is this the same family as mine that has yellow flowers? I konw you asked for information, but I have none, so I'm asking questions ;-) Beautiful stuff, as always!

Colleen Wms said...

I'm not sure what you have with yellow flowers. Shoot me a picture and e-mail it to me.
Thx 4 the comment and question though! Maybe someday you can help me with my 50 hours when I do MG training.

Jeanne said...

That Jack Frost brunnera is beautiful. The leaves look like the silver leaf lamium I planted last year, but the flowers do look a bit like forget me not. I've got to look into brunnera. Beautiful photos.