Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Japanese Iris Variegata

The Japanese Iris Variegata are still blooming nicely. They are a deep purple color with blue and yellow. They don't last long but their green and white variegated foliage lasts all summer and looks nice. They are probably the last Iris I have to bloom in a season. I originally planted them in a low spot where water pooled as they don't mind water. I think I need to dig them up and divide them because they are getting bare in the center. Maybe they'll bloom even more next year. I'll find a shadier spot and see how the divisions do there. My gardens are always a test space to me. Maybe if I knew better, I would waste so much time but the learning process is part of the fun for me.

I see now that I took such a close up that they are full of tiny bugs. Great...
I started these yellow flowers from seed in peat pots a few years ago then planted then right into clay. They have consistently bloomed beautifully ever since. My Best Garden Plants for Virginia book by Richard Nunnally and Laura Peters just gave me the name. They are Heliopsis, not a coreopsis or helianthus / sunflower like I originally was coming out with.

4 comments:

Janet said...

hmm, my Japanese Iris Variegata isn't near blooming yet. Will have to check it closer.

Colleen Wms said...

Unfortunately because of the heat wave we have right now, some blooms are spent before the last bud has opened. Fortunately, the foliage looks great all summer unlike other Irises.

Heather said...

I think your yellow flower is some kind of copeopsis. Don't hold me to it, that is just what i think. They tend to grow well everywhere but my yard and there are lots of different varieties.

Colleen Wms said...

As I was just paging through my Best Garden Plants for Virginia, I see they are Heliopsis, not a coreopsis or helianthus / sunflower like I originally was coming out with.