Friday, June 19, 2009

On the cusp of summer

Summer officially starts this weekend. The summer solstice begins on June 21 at 1:45am which is Saturday night for you night owls or Sunday morning for the rest of us.

Summer brings yellow. This is probably why I do not seek out yellow flowers. They always seem abundant.
One of the many rudbeckia or black eyed susan plants I have around the yard. They were an experiment from last year where I scattered seeds everywhere. Fortunately, I have quite a few plants this year to move around.

My tickseed coreopsis are beginning to bloom. Their butter yellow color and tiny flowers are so sweet.

I also planted another variety late last summer in the front of the house to test the spot. The yellow ones are not thriving like I want them too. I believe these are called "sweet dreams " tickseed coreopsis with their red purple pink colors and dark centers.


This year's torenia container with some asparagus fern pieces I divided from the plants I bought on sale last year at the Pottery in Williamsburg. I love them but they do require shade and I don't think they like the heat here so I keep them in a container as close to the house as possible, and never forget to water them.

My alstroemeria or peruvian lily are blooming. One is back by the pool and the other in its spot in a corner of the front porch. They SO need to be divided again. It might just have to wait for now. I am thinking of collecting some different colors. I may need to start trading.

Some of the freesia bulbs we purchased from the school fundraiser. They seem translucent in the morning sun.

The purple coneflower or echinacea purpurea on the brink of a bloom.

Speaking of almost summer...
Java Jodi's will have the SUMMER SOLSTICE PARTY. A Day of Music from 12 noon to 12 midnight!!! The Blue Door will be open... Come and party during the LONGEST DAY OF THE YEAR! Lots of specials ... Limbo Contests. From 12 Noon - 4pm -- The Old Time and Irish Music Jam; 4pm - 8 pm The Trongones! Southern and Classic Rock -- 8pm - 12 Midnight, Michael and Company, Classic Rock you know!

Sunday is Father's Day and that used to be my cutoff date for planting a flat of wizard mix coleus. Can't exactly tell you why because it may just be a coincidence. So I may head over to the Great Big Greenhouse today and see what they have! My list to buy this year still includes: more trailing verbena, cleome or spider flower, plumbago and another knockout rose. A new oleander would be ideal as well. The one I had for a few years in a container died this year. I think it was infected by a disease or nasty bugs.

3 comments:

flowers said...

Hobbies plays a key role for the people who really came to the earth for this purpose, one or the other day people around the world would be discussing about the people who have collected Many World Coins,monuments, old stamps, old notes who will be positioned in the world of Guinness records.

HarryJack's Mom said...

Absolutely beautiful! Every time I'm trying to find a pretty flower or information, you have it on your site...it's a gift, and I thank you! Enjoy your flower shopping, and HFD to Bill :-)

Colleen Wms said...

HJM:uR2kind