Thursday, June 11, 2009

Personalized Planters for Teacher Gifts

Here are the personalized flowerpots we created for my daughter's teacher and her assistant. The other class mom, my husband and I made contributions of time and talent to the final product as shown here and most all of the other kindergarten class parents contributed funds for the expenses.

My part was purchasing the supplies, picking the plants and filling the pots. I'm not the artistic one.

The plants included are:

Perennials
  • Coral bells – stormy seas – heuchera hybrid
  • Variegated vinca major (from my yard)

Annuals
  • Lantana
  • Geranium – salmon colored
  • Dracaena Spikes
  • Ipomoea Batata – sweet potato vine
They started as terra cotta pots and feet from Lowe's. My husband epoxied the feet on, sprayed 2 coats over 2 days of Thompson's Water Seal Multi-Surface Waterproofer. Then he sprayed 2 coats over 2 days of Rust-oleum Satin All-surface white paint.

We then turned it over to the other class mom who painted some scenery on it and we both helped each of the 16 students use their thumbprints to make flowers, bees and ladybugs and each student's name was written on it.

After that, and a few touch ups with acrylic paint after a severe thunderstorm caused a little running... we sprayed them again with Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Crystal Clear Gloss to help protect the colors and personalization for years to come. After all was dry, they were ready for the plants. We took 2 large plastic Folgers coffee cans and drilled a bunch of drainage holes in them as well as some small slits at the bottom. I put them in the pots first to keep them light, as it was not necessary to fill the pots totally with soil. I've been using aluminum cans lately in my own containers but this seemed classier?

Last but not least, I mixed up some Miracle Grow Potting Mix and water in a tub and started filling the pots. I then arranged the plants and added more wet soil and kept showering and misting until I was sure the plants were set in the soil, draining properly and the plants looked clean of all the dirt. I tried to choose a combination of easy care plants that have worked well for me so it doesn't become a hassle for them. Oh yes, I think I added a small hens & chick at the end as well for good measure.

I hope to hear how they hold up over the summer and beyond!

3 comments:

HarryJack's Mom said...

Those are fantastic! And what a great idea to incorporate the kids' fingerprints into the designs - they will treasure those for years to come - great job, all!

Janet said...

Colleen, what a nice gift to the teacher. I would have loved the plants you did.

Missy's Blog said...

These are just beautiful!