Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Yes, I love my roses. But...

When that first flush of my favorite Abraham Darby blooms erupt, the first week or two of May, it is the most beautiful sight. The sweet fragrance is in the air as you walk near them. To me, it is the epitome of what a rose should be, traditional and fruity.

No sooner is the second set of buds ready to bloom and the thrips come.. and the black spot... Any Japanese Beetles want to take up residence here en masse this year to make a perfect triad of rose problems? The first year I planted it, it did not suffer from black spot at all. I was thrilled thinking it was resistant. Guess not.

Yes, I am spraying them now with fungicide to get rid of the black spot and a bug spray for the thrips but I don't have that same beautiful shrub I had a month ago. Maybe next year, I'll remember to spray right away. I did prune it quite a bit this year to keep a better shape. I should have sprayed it instead.

Today I am a grumpy gardener and want to pull out all my roses just as I finally did in the early spring to my Double Delights that did horrible here.

I also planted a new variety last year that is absolutely wonderful as well. I don't seem to have a picture from this year and it does not have any blooms right now, only its second set of buds. The picture below is from 2008. It is a Weeks Roses Livin Easy (Fellowship, cv. HARwelcome). It is an apricot orange blend floribunda with a beautiful fragrance as well. Dare I say, so far, it is free of black spot and thrips.
Then there are the Jackson Perkins Simplicity roses that I still haven't pulled out. I've posted in the past about what a disappointment and expense they were to us. However, the shade of pink is pretty when they bloom. But they are unsightly for the most part.

We also have 1 Knockout Rose bush that very quickly surpassed our idea of its ultimate size and is therefore in the wrong spot. It blooms nicely and I am hoping to get some other colors and plant them elsewhere.
I suppose that I need to change my ways because the roses and the weather is not going to change. I either need to do some more research into which roses if any can survive the terrible heat we get here or stop planting them in full sun and try to plant one in a more shady spot where it may be protected from the intense heat. As much as I am tempted to give up on them altogether, there's always that incredible fragrance when they do bloom and when I bring them in the house, they sweeten up the place.

The roses we had in the Northeast (NJ) did very well. The weather is cooler overall than it is here. Although roses like sun, I don't think they like the heat. Who does right?

I welcome any suggestions you more experienced gardeners may have. I chose not to try tea roses until I had success with floribundas and shrub roses. Maybe I should bite the bullet and try some teas and my luck may turn!

Adding to the grumpiness is the new Kwanzan cherry tree that we bought and planted this Spring is DEAD. And the weeping cherry that we moved to another spot to see if it would do any better is DEAD. Maybe I should buy a tub of cherries at the produce stand and bury it in the yard . Maybe I'll get a cherry tree then!

3 comments:

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

Your roses are gorgeous. I saw a beetle the other day. I told it that it was early and wasn't suppose to be here yet.Nasty little buggers.

Janet said...

Hate to say it, but roses are not always happy here in Virginia. I have both Knockouts and Carpets that do well, but they are not fragrant. Had a couple of Rugosa Roses that were really nice, did well, very fragrant...didn't handle earth moving equipment though.

Arun said...

Tea roses do well even in the tropics, though they give blooms year-round in a less concentrated way than over here in NJ where the roses have a resting period, so NC should be good, too!

White Dawn occasionally gets black spot and sometimes aphids.