Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My daughter's Annual Seed Garden


This year I was committed to getting my gardens under control. This meant major mulching, weed fabric, dividing and moving plants in some of the gardens. Basically, the maintenance is getting out of hand so I need to simplify. Typically, I have 2 oval gardens on the top of my hill where I heavily plant annual flower seeds. This has mainly been zinnias and cosmos since they have been doing the best in the hot sun here. I also plant some other small patches of others like Globe Amaranth or Gomphrena & various types of marigolds. Then I plant cardinal climber in various places around the yard for my hummingbirds, sunflowers behind the white fence so they are peeking over us while we are in the pool by the end of the summer. Last year I planted some mini sunflowers in the mailbox garden, which were just too cute so I planned to do the same again this year.

Although I bought most of the seeds, we seemed to have a late start to Spring this year with some unusually cold nights well into April and then we went to the beach for a week in a May. I really never caught up but didn't worry too much as I knew I needed to get the existing gardens under control.

I also had a large box full of bulbs. Some I bought from a school fundraiser and others I had collected in my travels.

One of the bloggers I enjoy following had a post recently with a picture of a cosmos. It made me sad because I realized I might not have any cosmos of my own this year. I then took a walk around the yard and was reminded that my daughter who has 1 of the 4 raised beds in my husband's veggie garden as her own, had planted a number of seeds, including some of mine. We have cosmos, zinnias and nasturtium. It made me realize that passing the love of gardening on to the younger ones, even when they are only 4 & 6, is a wonderful thing.

I am still committed to getting every last seed and bulb into the ground this year, as I believe they'll still have time to bloom at least for a short time this year. Ever the optimist, I know but I need to learn the lesson to stop buying before I know I have the time to plant!

So, all that said, here are some of the photos I took of her garden.






















4 comments:

HarryJack's Mom said...

Beautiful work, little Miss! You've passed your love of gardening on to more than just your two sweets - thank you :-)

MissyM said...

Those are flowers after my own heart. I love cosmos and zinnias and as time goes by, I plant more and more of them. I just started with the yellow and orange cosmos last year but found they reseed very easily. Nice pictures!

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

What a beautiful bed of annuals she has created. I just love cosmos.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Very thoughful approach towards a manageable garden. Whatever we plan and do must be within our grasp....

Lovely bees and definitely beautiful flowers....,
~ bangchik