Sunday, July 12, 2009

What else is blooming beautiful this week?

I do love my glads. They come back to us every year which was a big surprise at first. I did move some this year and will need to move more because they got taller than I had thought and blocked the view of other smaller plants. They also need staking. But their colors and dependability is what I like. I liken my love of the gladiolus to the same fanaticism I see with daylily aficionados and my gladioli have a very long bloom time and are easier for me to keep looking neat.








The lilies are a very pretty color but I do have a problem with their fragrance. They remind me of the too many viewings I've attended in my life. It's the smell of a the dead in a funeral home's parlor. I may wind up moving them further up the hill in a location where I can see them but rarely am close enough to smell them.


My cleome or spider flowers are a must have annual for me. As I've said in the past, I wish I was successful in getting them to grow from seed so I didn't have to buy them every year. They can be hard for me to find. This year the only place I found some was at the Little Five Azalea farm and it was late in the season so my choice was limited. I always get a few volunteers but they are miniatures.


This is a blackberry lily or leopard lily (belamcanda chinensis). The orange spotted petal are all curled up one minute and then unfurl into a striking dainty perfect flower. Even though it is called a lily, it is actually in the Iris family. That may explain why I decided to put it in a garden that is full of Irises even before I knew what it was?


I am still waiting on the plumeria. Maybe I should go feed them today.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I have lots of blackberry lilies...love them!

Missy's Blog said...

Thank you for the walk through your garden. Your flowers are absolutely beautiful!

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

Your glads are so pretty. I love the red one with the white in the petals and the hot pink one. I have not grown any for years but I have one that survives the cold winters here and comes back.I always hated staking them but I think they make a sorter glad now so I am tempted to try those. Your lilies are gorgeous.