Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fertilizer Friday / Flaunt Your Flowers

Here's my Fertilizer Friday post with pictures I took this morning. It'll have to do. Yesterday was too busy to take pix. Go over to Tootsie Time's blog to see what it's all about!

Tuberose are opening up. Fabulous fragrance.

Comparable in my garden only to the Abraham Darby Rose (struggling through a second flush of blooms),one of the plumeria (buds but no blooms yet) and gardenia (which is done blooming so no pix today).

Back by the pool, my newer purple clematis has a lone flower,

The scabiosa / pincushion flower is reblooming I believe I owe thanks to all the tedious deadheading with a small pair of scissors I did a few weeks back on it.
Yes, the climbing white dawn rose is still in its pot. I realized I could not decide on a permanent home so I am keeping it close to me in the pool so I can carefully tend to it, removing black spot, spraying for thrips and spent blossoms as soon as they appear. It is blooming beautifully and has a wonderful fragrance. It is certainly more subtle than the Abraham Darby but a beauty nonetheless. This is a volunteer cleome / spider flower that I moved from its original pool garden spot up to the dogwood / test garden when it was still small. The test has proven that this is the best place so far for them to grow on my yard. It is thriving while the others I have by the pool seem weak by comparison.
Nasturtium in one of the raised beds of the vegetable garden planted by my daughter next to her goblin egg gourds.


One of my Rose of Sharon shrubs is in bloom. The other is almost there. They are not terribly happy in this spot but they are okay. When we created this garden, I was quick to plant before improving the soil.

And then to the front garden bed where last Fall's ornamental cabbage is already filling back in surrounded by the newer coreopsis variety I have.And the ever present morning glories that self seed year after year. I don't mind them.

7 comments:

Tootsie said...

it is all just gorgeous! I am loving that tuberose!!! How delicate! thanks for linking in!! I love visiting everyone's gardens!

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

YYour Abraham Darby rose is just gorgeous. So is the volunteer Cleome. I cannot even get them to grow on purpose ;-) Mine are samll and all turning yellow. Sad little things.
I did not know there was a dawn white rose. It is so pretty in its pot.
Have a great weekend.

HarryJack's Mom said...

It's so fun seeing the variety of beautiful blooms that you have - so glad you jumped on the FYF train :-) Do you mind if I stalk your blog for a bit to see if anyone has good ideas about the clematis? Happy weekend!

lynn'sgarden said...

Loving your FF blooms..tuberose..yum!! I actually lived near a farm that grew them in Hawaii when I was a wee bit..intoxicating fragrance! And I have a plumeria, too but no buds yet!
Lynn

Bek said...

I know how that is planting without preparing the soil;) I am too eager to do that as well and then regret it later.

Janet said...

Wow Colleen, I am jealous of your Tuberosa! Tried a few times and they just didn't make it.

MissyM said...

Can you believe I have never seen or smelled a tuberose? I am told the scent is delightful. They are pretty flowers. I love cleome. I have a pink one this year and I will be saving seeds.