Wednesday, October 21, 2009

First Frost of the Season

The first light frost of the season took with it the coleus, zinnia and cosmos; par for the course. The leaves of the Japanese red bark acer maple are changing color.
It also left many flower buds that were getting ready to open, like this pink Abraham Darby rose, frozen in time. The deep red gladiolus with the yellow center is continuing its bloom.
So yes, all of the tropicals in their containers are living in the garage right now. We handtrucked them in over the past weekend. I will bring some into the house this year once I decide how I will treat the soil to get rid of any potential bug babies.

6 comments:

Janet said...

Glad you got your tropicals into the garage this weekend! We are frost free so far...just far enough further south from you.

Colleen Wms said...

Funny thing is that the 9 outdoor container plants I filled at the school 1/2 mile away still have all of their coleus and other annuals alive that I put in them. Talk about a microclimate!

Darla said...

Jack Frost does leave things frozen in time doesn't he? Glad you got your tropicals tucked away..

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

Glad you got in all of your tropical plants colleen. Must have been a major job ;-) The rose bloom is so beautiful and your gladioli.

azplantlady said...

I am glad you were able to get your tropicals in on time. I love Abraham Darby roses. I had one at our old house and I just loved it's delicate color and fragrance.

Jeanne said...

We had our first frost too, and I lost the zinnias and morning glories, but not the cosmos. Time to get out today and gather in those zinnia seeds for next year!