Sunday, February 28, 2010

Maymont Flower & Garden Show

The Maymont Flower & Garden Show Glorious Gardens Great and Small, at the Richmond Convention Center is always a sight for sore eyes, especially with a long white winter like we've had this year. 

There were a dozen or more garden landscape displays. This is not the Philadelphia International (Feb.28-Mar.7) or Chelsea Flower show but it is very nice.

I will do my best to give credit where it is due to the designs below from memory.  
Some of my photos. 
Ashland Berry Farm "Just Add Water"


what's a garden without whimsy anyway...

"Bathed in Beauty" mermaid bathtub container garden by Judy Durant, Hanover VCE Master Gardener
Sam Harris Designs opened up the show.
I love the color and bloom on this azalea so much, I bought one of the two on the display after the show was over, for $2! It's a florist azalea so I'll need to pot it up.


Here's the bathing beauty again!
Chadwick & Sons Orchids, Inc of Powhatan had "Orchid Garden Party"

Wlisonara Aloha Sparks
ORC Grounds management "2010 Glorious Lane"
soft pink colored tulip with white yellow center

Cross Creek Nursery & Landscaping "Monet's Water Garden"
Virginia Water Gardens "Your Backyard Paradise"
Greenfield Landscaping, LLC. of Ashland "Forest of Dreams"
Other landscapes were by: 
Rock Creek Innovations, Inc.  "Picture This..."
Xteriors "Sanctuary"
Richmond Bonsai Society "Glorious Trees from Small to Tall"

Browsing through the Great Garden Marketplace vendor booths also makes it worth the trip.  I look forward to seeing what my favorite vendor, Greg's Antiques & Gardens from Cincinnati, Ohio has.  I picked up a little angel this trip. I need to take a picture of her.
He sells all sorts of iron and wire topiaries, trellises, planters, baskets,gazebos, arbors, urns. All at reasonable prices. Each year I pick up something else from them.   

Looking through the pamphlets I picked up, I see
Colesville Nursery in Ashland has an open house April 17 8-3
Ashland Berry Farm in Beaverdam Spring Annual Opening April 10 but greenhouse opens Apr 3 and Garden pond shop Mar 20!

Maymont's Spring programs include 
Spring Break Apr 5-9 Hysterically Correct Pirate Show Apr 8 6-8
Plus, they have their summer camp schedule available for 2010.

4 comments:

HarryJack's Mom said...

They need to pay you to be their adwoman....makes me really sad I missed it! Can't wait to see your treat and next round of pix :-)

Janet said...

Ha ha, we should have coordinated, I was there on Thursday. As a matter of fact, the tulips on my header (new photo) are from the Maymont Flower Show. I thought the garden side of the show was small, every year getting a little more disappointing. I remember going in years past where the garden displays filled the convention center and the vendors were selling herbs and African violets and orchids and small shrubs and and and...... too much of a home show for me. Since it was the last one I would see since we are moving further south, I figured we would take it in one more time. I did get my flower fix taken care of for a while, but could have taken in lots more!

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

Hi Colleen. A little whimsy goes a long way in this case. LOL! How fun. And the Mermaid is terrific. It is wonderful to see spring blooms. Great price on that azalea. Way to go girl!
Lona

Jeanne said...

I must get to Maymont this year. When is the best time to visit the gardens? When are they are their peak?