Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Warm February day in the gardens

I've been waiting for today to mulch the mailbox garden. The weather forecasters told us that today would hit 60. Whether it has or not, I dunno. Probably since I'm out without a jacket. It is quite lovely outside!

I went over to our local southern states to pick up some mulch. I chose 3 bags of statesman pine bark. The mailbox only needed one so I am using the rest in the butterfly pet cemetary plot.

Our area YMCA have started their training for the sports backers monument 10k and our local team runs through our neighborhood every Saturday as a group and small groups every day it seems. I feel like I can do my part to enhance their run by cleaning up the front of the house at least since running is not my thing.

The mailbox area was easy enough. I've lost some soil due to erosion so I dumped an old hanging baskets soil in there. I also got to admire the pansies that are perky and bright since the fall planting still. There are a few crocus and iris corms that I moved there last year.

Before laying the butterfly garden mulch down, I'm cleaning up the iris leaves and cut the butterfly bush branches down about half. I know my mother in law would suggest more but that was all I could handle. It is just so amazing how much that thing can grow in a season. I just wish it would bloom sooner. Although it does last well into the autumn to feed those straggler butterfly's.

I also decided to top off some of the green giant thujas that border our back yard. I know it is not recommended but they are mine and are my experiment at my living fence shrub. It smells like Christmas trees! I know I had to do it now before they were too thick and tall for my lops.

Of course there are plenty of yellow crocus around in the grass although never enough for my liking. Wasn't too happy to see some dandelions already up. The hyacinths and daffodils that are up already are midgets. Guess that's what such a mild winter here in central Virginia does to them.

So back to the out of doors and perhaps I can shoot some photos to post!

No comments: